Saturday, March 23, 2013

Making a studio

  For some time I've been interested in studio photography, but I never wanted to spend too much to buy all the equipment. So I've looked around the web to find the cheapest equipment possible and also that has OK quality.

1) What I already had:
1. Nikon D3100
2. Couple of lenses
3. Speedlight SB-700 flash
4. Few table lights

2) What I needed to get:
1. A background
2. Softbox


3) Also ordered:
1. Lightstand
2. Umbrella
3. Radio flash remote


I decided to buy the background because I really didn't have a place where I could make a permanent studio, I can move the background anywhere anytime. It was 50% off and cost me 55 EUR in total. I also bought a reflector(~19 EUR)

2,75 x 11m white seamless paper








56cm reflector with silver and golden side.














 To soften the light I decided to make a softbox. I looked at some DIY sites and decided to make my own design. I used some wires and aluminum paper(one side aluminum, other side brown paper). The front is just some old bed sheet.
 I wanted it to be fairly light so it would be easy to move around and use. Building this cost me 0 EUR since I already had everything at home.

 This is my first try on making one so it doesn't look all too great, but it works just fine.
 This is the back side. I decided to leave the back open so I can easily manipulate the settings of my flash.
 Need to find a better solution for future projects on how to make it stand straight. On this one I just put some wires around the Flash.
Since the softbox is pretty light, it stays in place OK, but always could do better.







 I also ordered one lightstand, a white umbrella and Radio flash trigger from Amazon UK. They should arrive sometime in start of April. So I can give an update on how they work.
 I paid about 70 EUR for all. So I saved about 50% with ordering from amazon. It would have cost me atleast 150 EUR if I would have bought these things here in Estonia.

In total I have spent around 150 EUR to create my home studio(aside from my camera gear). It's not perfect, but it gets the job done.

I will show you how it all looks when I get everything that I ordered.

Until then, Happy shooting!


And please visit and share my Stock photography site with your friends!

No comments :

Post a Comment