Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The amazing Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 VC Di USD

Recently I've been looking to buy a new lens. I wanted something that has really nice image quality and which isn't too expensive. I came across this Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 VC Di USD. Read some good things about it, but wasn't sure, if it really was that good, so I decided to borrow and try it for a day.

Pros:
*Really inexpensive
*Fairly light compared to size
*VC work really well
*Image quality is very nice
*Focusing and zoom ring move very smoothly
*Has vignetting, but that doesn't bother me
*Focus speed is ok, but not the fastest
*Nice zoom range

Cons:
*Feels plasticky
*The VC makes some noise
*Chromatic aberration

 So, I did a series of tests, and came to conclusion that this lens performs really amazingly. I tested the aberration, image quality, vignetting and distortion. I have to say that it passed all my needs for a lens.
  The image quality is great.
  There is some vignetting, but it isn't too bad. After f/11 it was completely gone and even at f/4 there was very little of it.
  There is aberration though, you can mostly remove it with some editing, but sometimes, in the most extreme cases, you have to make the best you can, but you'll still have some.


                        Chromatic aberration tests

70mm, 1/500, f/7,1, iso200

70mm, 1/1000, f/4, iso200

70mm, 1/640, f/5.6, iso200

300mm, 1/640, f/5.6, iso200
300mm, 1/400, f/7.1, iso200


Distortion

Wont post the vignetting test photos, because there will be too many of them, and they are boring :) Instead, I'll just post some images of Tallinn and some other things, so you'll see how nice images I produced with this lens.

These are all straight from the camera
only saved them to jpeg


In the end, I decided I wouldn't buy this lens. I can't spend any money right now. But in the future, if I have any free money, I will certainly consider this one. And, I recommend it to anyone who are looking for great zoom.

No comments :

Post a Comment